Internet Use Policy:
- The Marion Public Library develops collections, resources, and services to meet the information needs of the diverse population of the Marion area. The Marion Public Library offers access to the Internet via the Ohio Public Library Information Network (OPLIN) as another means of meeting those needs.
- The Marion Public Library, through OPLIN, provides access to databases of general and special periodicals, readers’ advisory services, homework centers, and legislative, historical, and archival materials and information.
- Information available through OPLIN and the Internet is not warranted by the Marion Public Library or OPLIN to be accurate, authoritative, factual, or complete. The availability of networked information via the Marion Public Library does not constitute any endorsement or ratification of that information. The Marion Public Library and OPLIN are not responsible for the content of networked information available.
- The use of OPLIN and the Internet to engage in any activity which constitutes violation of local, state, and/or federal laws is strictly prohibited. All users of this service agree to hold the Marion Public Library and OPLIN harmless from any and all claims, losses, damages, obligations, or liabilities directly or indirectly relating to the use of OPLIN and the Internet, caused thereby or arising there from. In no event is the Marion Public Library or OPLIN liable for lost profits or for indirect, special, punitive, or consequential damages or any liability to any third party, even if the Marion Public Library or OPLIN is advised of the possibility of such damages.
- RULES FOR USE
- The Marion Public Library strictly prohibits any efforts to bypass the security of the library network and any other computer network connected with the Library. The Library will assist in investigations of any individuals who violate this policy.
- Patrons are expected to behave online in a civil manner. You may not use the library’s computers to harass or harm others.
- You may not display sexually explicit materials or profanity.
- The Marion Public Library is not liable for the reliability of the local network and the Internet, nor is it liable for the content or accuracy of the information found on the network or the Internet. You are responsible for evaluating information on the Internet for reliability and point of view.
- You may not use the Library computers for illegal purposes. This includes activities that may constitute copyright infringement, such as unauthorized file sharing.
- These computers are intended for non-commercial personal use.
- The Marion Public Library does not provide e-mail accounts for its patrons.
- As with all library materials, the parent or guardian of minor children assumes responsibility for supervising access to Internet resources in the Library. Children under age eight must have an adult or responsible caregiver sit with them while at an Internet station.
Please refer to our User Conduct Policy for any questions about this policy.